Tuesday 11 May 2010

Brussels and its police zones

After that beautiful accident, I called the police (obviously). Jayzus - you dont want to be in an emergency there...

After 10 minutes the first squad car drives past. Stops. Cops look interested and helpful. But can not help. Sorry Sir - we would really like to help you - but we can't. We're the federal police (and deal with murders - so your accident...go figure) you need the local police. Fair 'nough. Go catch some crooks then.

Couple of minutes ;ater the next squad car arrives. Windows down. Interested look. But can not help. Sorry Sir - we would really like to help you - but we can't. We're from the police zone Bruxelles Capitale/Ixelles but your accident is actually in Schaerbeek/St Josse. IOW different police zone. Drives off into the sunrise.

A felt eternity later - FINALLY. My squad car arrives to take note of what happened.

Now here is food for thought for efficiency : why can't any policemen from whatever zone they are take your first statement on site and then -but only then- refer you to the concerned police zone for FURTHER processing.

I hate to think what might have happened in a more serious case. But quite frankly - there the organization of the Belgian Police could be optimized, although as individuals they were all very friendly, helpful, empathic and generally concerned. Regardless where they were from. Must not be an easy job I guess. I would be actually quite frustrated in their shoes. I know - because I was.

But my heart reaches out for the boy and girls in blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment