Wednesday 19 May 2010

Taxi drivers in Brussels

If you ever have to take a taxi in Brussels - be warned. I remember having a conversation with a London Black Cab Cabbie, who claimed they were more vetted than the police and whether I wanted to this or that route, giving me both pros and cons. Wow.

Here : they dont really take you from A-B on the shortest possible route. More on the easiest (lucrative?) for them. And they seem to be deaf. No offence to deaf people BTW. Due to the broken leg, I take quite a few taxis these days (the opponents accident insurance has to pay you see....). Yesterday I tell him : please take this street, then up that street an so on - you get the picture. Guys nods -OK...and turns left. Totally different way and whilst we're at it burn a red traffic light. Intentionally.

Otherwise as a tourist - hmm. Just forgive them. Most are honest people unless its at night, you're drunk and fall out of a pub. They will take you to your destination, but most certainly not on the best route. I once had to endure a 5km detour, where the driver claimed this was the shortest route. Right - its like saying that from London to Brussels you have to go via Paris as the shortest way.

Another example was  my dear cabbie today. Kept complaining how a Mafia keeps controlling the juicy rides from the Hotels to (say) the airport and how he complained to basically everyone in Brussels about this. So you might think that he is an honest soul. False ! Changed from tariff 1 to tariff 2 7 km sooner than he was supposed to do so. Meaning 10 extra € for the fare. Now I really dont care about the money, as I dont have to pay for it. Some insurance company does. But it is still dishonest.

No comments:

Post a Comment